Tuesday, March 23, 2010

This is the s**t!

Check out my pile of horse manure! I got it from a woman down the street who has 5 horses. While we were at her farm shoveling s**t, one of the horses had her head inside the back of the Subaru sniffing around. We also got to pet baby goats and saw chickens and roosters. It makes me want to have livestock. One day....

So this manure will sit in this pile for two months, and I will turn it over every few days, and it will go through a heat cycle which will kill weed seeds and fly larvae. That's my compost thermometer in the middle. Today it reads 61° with an ambient temperature of 42°. Then I will use it as fertilizer this summer on the vegetables. You know farmers call manure "black gold" because it's so helpful for getting the right nutrients to the plants. Worms love it, and worms are good for the garden!

I planted peas outside on Sunday night. Indoors I have tomatoes sprouting, and beets, chard, cabbage, lettuce, and kale growing right along. Thrilled that Spring is here! What are you all planting this year?

No comments: