Tuesday, March 16, 2010

How's it feel to be a plumber?

Last week I put in one of two kitchen counters and installed the kitchen sink. It's a treat to have a real counter as opposed to a couple of small (short) tables. The plumbing was fairly straight forward, although I had to replace one of the strainer drains as the downspout had rusted. This makes washing dishes a whole lot easier. For the top surface of the counters we're envisioning some sort of stone or concrete. I don't like the typical marbled granite that's so ubiquitous. We're looking for something unique.

We're still without running water in the cabin, but that's next on the list. Presently, we have a 1" line from the well coming to just outside the cabin. I purchased the pressure tank and a bunch of PEX fittings along with PEX hose for the water supply. What I'm missing is some sort of holding tank for the pressure tank. I'm hoping that using a 4' x 36" plastic culvert will do the trick. My plan is to bury it near the well head. I'm placing it outside given that space is at a premium inside.


















On the weekend I replaced the fan's 24" downrod with a 36" one. What a difference. No more whoop whoop whoop on the high setting. We're lovin' this fan.

Last week and this I've been helping our neighbor, David, install a PV system on his barn. We installed the panels, ran some of the wiring, and installed the inverter. It's great getting in some OJT. Christy and I plan on ordering our system this week. We only have about 8 weeks before our system has to be installed and inspected if we want to qualify for the VA renewable energy rebate ($2/Watt). I can't wait!

Well, that's about it for today. Gotta run over to David's to finish up the wiring and test out the system.

No comments: