Friday, May 15, 2009

Time

Christy and I are finding that we're getting a lot of reading in. I must have read 5 or 6 books in the last month. One of the books I'm reading now - "Siesta Lane" by Amy Minato - is about a woman who leaves the city to live in a "cabin, no running water, and a year living green". Mmm, sounds familiar for some reason. Anyway, I'm liking her writing and her experiences. She's provided me with some good quotes. About going to the woods: "Time stops long enough for thought and feeling to catch up." And then my favorite: "I am beckoned to renew a childhood connection with soil and sky that once offered me solace." This one resonates with me because I too had a childhood connection with the dirt. So often I'd leave my house in Ayer, MA to spend the day in a nearby field or the woods. Climbing trees, observing and catching insects, or just exploring. That's something I found myself doing no matter where I lived, be it New England or out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.



Sit. Relax. Read a book.

Today Christy and I took the day off and rode our bikes on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We couldn't have asked for a more perfect ride. The weather was awesome and we had the road to ourselves. Some of the nice things about biking the BRP is that it's in great shape, there's little traffic, AND what little traffic there is is limited to 45 mph. It's a biker's dream. Having said that, the hills can be a killer. Most of the Parkway in this part of Virginia is at an elevation of over 2000 feet.

For dinner, we had a pasta salad with some of our newly harvested greens - kale, Osaka Purple, and Chard) - Yum!

No comments: