Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Two Days and Two Weeks!

Only two days of work left, AND two weeks before Christy and I are Virginia-bound. It seems like the culmination of a dream, yet it's just beginning. To say that we're excited would be an understatement. To finally immerse ourselves in a more sustainable way of living is beyond words that I can conjure up.

Other musings:
  • We've ordered the majority of our seeds and have already planted some in a seed tray - 17 have already sprouted. People keep asking us what we're going to be growing. I'll post a list in the coming days.
  • According to our neighbors in Floyd, Annie and David, the tree clearing is pretty much done. We're just waiting for word from the logger that he's finished. Then comes stump removal and getting the well dug.
  • I've started a personal journal because there's just so much to think about and plan out. I also got inspired after reading some older entries in a journal that Christy and I started a few years ago.
  • Christy's employer (The Carolina Raptor Center) gave her her farewell lunch today. They gave her one of those musical cards with the song "Hit the Road Jack". The quality of the music is probably better than the old transistor radios that I grew up listening to.
  • Although I agree with a lot of what Thomas Friedman has to say about the environment and consumerism, I'm finding it difficult to be his champion after discovering that he lives in a +13,000 square foot home. Sorry dude, there ain't no way to call that living sustainably or treading lightly. I'm really trying not to judge, yet I've lost a bit of respect for the lad.
  • I've got two books in the "active" queue: "What is the What" by Dave Eggers - a fictional recreation of the life of one of the "Lost Boys" of Sudan. And then there's "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" by Lynn Truss - a truly witty book on punctuation. Perhaps I'll learn a thing or two on where and where not to use a comma, apostrophe, semicolon, and colon. I know, "That's some exciting reading there, Rick." I can't help it, I like learning new stuff.

1 comment:

elswedo said...

We must be shopping at the same book store! When I recently bought "Hot Flat and Crowded", I also picked up "What is the What". It looked interesting. So that's the next one down in the pile. Glad to hear your plan is moving forward. The haiku from former co-worker Jake sounded just perfect for you.