Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"Sun is Shining...

... the weather is sweet." Bob Marley

Got back to Charlotte on Sunday night after spending a week in Tucson, Arizona. I had taken a six day class on PV (Photovoltaic, i.e. Solar Panels) Design and Installation presented by Solar Energy International. I camped out at a permaculture community just outside of the city. A lot of information was crammed into those six days but it was oh so worth it. There were 26 of us in the class and two instructors. The class consisted of four days of classroom and two days of hands-on at an actual installation. I learned quite a bit more than I expected. There's just so much that goes into designing and installing a PV system. I'm confident that I can do an installation with some supervision.

The stay at the permaculture center was a great experience as well. It was truly motivational to see this community living in such a low-impact manner. Camping in the desert was really fun. I got to see some really cool wildlife: javelina (peccary), coyote, ringtail cat, Gambel's quail, black-chinned hummingbird, ferruginous hawk, gila woodpecker and more. Also got to do some hiking up some nearby rock outcroppings.




Tent site

Above Permaculture Center




Behind my tent

Prickly Pear Cactus


Installation site




No comments: