Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Winter Wonderland

This past Saturday we got 5" of snow - the first of the season. I wasn't at home to experience it but Christy said it was beautiful. This is what I saw when I got home on Monday





Ben and I finished up the rough plumbing on Friday. Below is the drain system beneath the cabin.


From left to right: bathroom sink, toilet, shower, kitchen sink

While in Durham this past weekend, Adrian and I went to the Restore where I found a used bathroom sink with pedestal for only $65.


Air admittance valve. This precludes us from having to vent through the roof.


Tomorrow is the rough plumbing and insulation inspection - keep your fingers crossed.

4 comments:

Adrian T. Brown said...

I'm curious - what is the purpose of insulating between the floor joists assuming heat rises?

Rick Brown said...

You are correct, dear brother, that heat does indeed rise (caused by dense, cold air sinking, but I digress). The purpose in insulating the floor is that heat can also be conducted through the floor material. One day I'll explain the three methods of heat transfer, LOL.

Tom said...

Rick,

I was under the impression the inside vent you are using does not meet code. Is this so?

Is the septic system vented to the outside somewhere other than your roof?

Thanks for the interesting posts.

Tom F.

Rick Brown said...

Hey Tom! Sorry for not answering your questions. Our building inspector passed the air admittance valves knowing that there is no exterior vent. There is no other venting for the septic tank. So far, the toilet and sink are draining quite well with a single AAV. We'll use a second one for the kitchen sink.