Friday, September 18, 2009

A roof over your head

When my brothers and I were little our father would regularly remind us that he was providing us "with a roof over your heads." And without argument, he did. We always lived comfortably and in a nice houses. But all of that takes on new meaning when you actually build the roof that will shelter you. Yesterday, Ben and I finished sheathing and applying tar paper to the roof. So, for all intents and purposes, the cabin is covered. Next week the metal roof will be delivered and so we'll install that then.

I'm now remembering other things my dad used to say. Things like "Don't the let the door hit you on the way out." or this when we voiced displeasure with something he said "You know where the front door is." All that talk about roofs and doors - perhaps he had secret aspirations to be a carpenter.

Next up, before putting on the metal roof, I need to finished closing in the upper gable walls; attach tar paper to the exterior walls; and then install the doors and windows. At that point Christy and I will begin sleeping in the cabin. Shortly thereafter we'll insulate the walls, roof and floors. It's all very exciting - I'm so lovin' this.



2 comments:

Adrian T. Brown said...

This looks amazing! I have to say, i"m very proud of you brother. Keep up the good work. Love from Durham.

Rick Brown said...

Thanks! It's a good feeling.