Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Big 5-0

Fifty years ago a young German woman beamed as she bore her first-born son. A saviour come to... oops, sorry, wrong story. Anyway, in post-war Berlin, as a single mother, she was never-the-less ecstatic. And now, fifty years later, I too am ecstatic. Happy to be living a life that I've chosen to live. A life that's full and complete. And to be doing this with someone that's equally as motivated as me - Christy, you're the best!

Today, Christy and I spent the day in Blacksburg, Virginia - the home of Virginia Tech. We visited the Blacksburg Farmers' Market, the Virginia Tech Bookstore, a local coffee shop, various shops, lunch at Gillie's (a vegetarian cuisine restaurant), an Italian pizza joint for Gelato, and finally a Thai restaurant for dinner. What a way to celebrate my birthday!

Next weekend our family and friends will be coming to town to celebrate my 50th. Some will be coming to camp on our property and others will be staying in more comfortable accommodations. In addition, some of our new friends and neighbors will be joining us as well. I can't wait!


One of the most incredible gifts I received this week was a letter from my biological father accompanied by pictures of him and his family. I had requested pictures because I had never seen any pictures of him to know what he looked like. So now after 50 years I have finally seen my father. The picture is now complete. I'll get around to scanning the photo and posting it on this blog.



Blacksburg Farmers' Market

No comments: