Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

What a great movie. Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach. You couldn't have ask for a better cast. But I digress.


The Good:
We got our building permit - finally! A 216 square foot cabin with loft and 6' deep porches on two sides. Cabin and porch will be elevated about 24" on 6x6" posts (borate treated, of course).





The Bad:
My cat Mädchen died. She was 13 years old. I had gotten her as a kitten during a period of my being single. She was the best cat I could've ever asked for. She was super friendly and affectionate. Whenever I called her name she would answer - honestly. It was very sad and unexpected. Mädchen died of cardiac arrest and had multiple organ issues - liver, pancreas, and gall bladder. Thankfully she didn't suffer too long. I wouldn't have expected myself to cry but I did. I was bawling as I called to tell my youngest daughter, Lauren. She had a good life, though. Her last few months were spent with my in-laws, Jim and Linda. She had a huge house to roam around in and spent much of her time watching birds and chipmunks and laying on Linda's stomach as she napped. I'll miss her.




The Ugly:
Perhaps not from a distance but upon closer inspection one can see the angled cuts for the supports didn't quite match what they're intended to support. But anyway, this is our new clothes line. We used locust wood for the posts. One of the many nice things about living in a rural area is that there aren't any HOA rules stipulating "no hanging laundry outside." Can't let those home values drop any more than they already have, right?

No comments: