Sunday, March 30, 2008

Easter Weekend Part II (Saturday)

"The mind is the source of happiness and unhappiness." Bhuddha

That's easy to say when you've had a good night's sleep. So even after a hearty breakfast I still wasn't feeling up to par after minimal sleep the previous night.

I tried to keep busy by purchasing some garden posts at the local farming/hardware store and doing some work clearing fallen debris on the property. Then after a failed attempt at getting some sleep in the afternoon I decided I'd leave Floyd a day early and head to Durham. I stopped by Ed and Randye's to buy some of their cheese for my mom and take a shower. It turned out that they had a limited supply of hot water so their son Eli offered his place saying "I've got unlimited hot." He has an unlimited supply because he has an outdoor wood furnace that supplies all of his hot water. So after a nice hot shower I ran over to David and Annie's to say bye. We had planned on getting together so I wanted to at least drop by to say hi.

On the way to Durham I witnessed something surprisingly disturbing. Disturbing because my reaction was unexpected. Traveling east on route 58 (posted 55 mph) I saw a deer get hit by a pickup truck. It struggled frantically to get up for what seemed like minutes although the event took less than 10 seconds. When it finally did get to its feet and managed to take a few shaky steps, it's mouth was dripping fluid that didn't appear to be blood. Just as I passed the scene it lept over the guard rail and took off. During this whole time 3 more deer bounded across the highway unscathed. I think I found it disturbing because I was imagining the panic the deer felt at the moment. It made me think of the movie "Powder" when the hunter is made to feel what the deer is feeling after being shot - see here (go to 1:40). I've seen plenty of animals get killed but this was different. Now where's my PETA membership renewal form?

Here are some pics from the day:



No comments: